Pilot study results
Because of the project requirement, the following pilot study was carried out on other top level managers, low level managers and employees. They gave useful information on the performance of the middle level managers.
Pilot interview questions for employees
- Do you think middle managers make decisions based on the information they have about the job or they pass orders from the top management?
- What kind of information should be availed to the middle level managers?
- Should there be constant training to help managers be informed about current issues? And who is the best person to carry out the training
- Do you think that if managers have proper training and information, will the benefits spill to the employees?
- Any recommendation for improving the training or additional source of information to the managers?
Based on the 5 employees that were interviewed, they said that middle level manager training is a vital aspect in an organization. According to the respondents, middle level managers were more in touch with the employees and the operations; therefore they should be trained because they make wise decisions based on what is going on unlike the top management. The respondents said that managers should be trained extensively. The information should not just be about manager career development, but it should be about the organization’s operations and the employee needs. Qualified human resource personnel were suggested that they should conduct the training. This is because human resource from within know everything about the company; hence they will customize the training to fit the specific needs. It is evident that middle level manager training will affect all stakeholders positively. Manager training is a good move, employees recommended this idea.
Pilot interview questions for top managers
- What kind of training is beneficial to the middle level managers?
- What is the role of training?
- Who is in a better place to train the middle level managers? What is the appropriate training location?
- Are there any expectations that come with middle level manager training?
- What are your recommendations for this training?
The top level managers offered a different perspective on the kind of information that would be useful in the training. They believed that the information should be able to propel the company’s success. They said that middle level managers should be trained on how to handle the bigger picture not just the small operations within the company. The role of training is to boost career development and the company’s performance. The training should show the middle level managers about their future duties in the top management, information on the external environment. HR personnel should carry out the training, but expert training is needed because they offer different kind of information. The training should be carried out in within the building so that it will not affect normal functioning of the company. Training should not just be about the daily operations within the company, but it should cover other aspects of the external environment because they affect the businesses. Training should be extensive; it should focus on developing the managers cognitive, social and career development.
Pilot Test Observation Questions for middle level managers
- Are you benefiting from the training?
- What kind of training do you like?
A basic literature review as been conducted and below is the current material list describe for the program, but additional research may be needed to determine the full use of materials and budget aspects.
Based on the projects proposal this is an estimated list of materials and labor. Additionally, more or less may be needed depending on other logistics factors and demographics based on where the program would take place.
Materials: projectors, computers, black board and printed materials.
Timeline for the project: 3 months
According to the literature review the following are research methods that could measure the success, failure, and the continuity of the training. Eventually, evaluation questions could provide recommendations for future changes in the training program. Qualitative research methods are volatile and they can be interpreted in many ways. Therefore, it is good to maintain accuracy.
After implementing the training program (August – January) there will be a follow up interview and survey questions would be asked.
Evaluation questions for middle level managers
Evaluation Interview Questions for middle level managers:
- What did you learn during the training?
- What are the new things you learned during the training and how will they help you?
- What did you like the most about the training? What did you dislike the most?
Evaluation Survey Questions for employees and Top managers
- Have you noticed any difference during and after the training?
- Do you think the managers are using the skills they are learning?
- How will the training affect your roles?
- Do you think the managers will implement what they were trained?
- What recommendations do you have for the training program?